One Hot Minute with Benji Marshall
We caught up with New Zealand National Team Captain and Wests Tigers superstar Benji Marshall who answered a few questions on training, recovery, 2XU and his under 9's marble victory!
1. There are only 5 minutes to go in the final quarter, energy levels are low, how do you stay motivated? I get inspiration from team mates and the amount of energy they are putting into the game. When I see one of the forwards do a big run it motivates me to go harder and do something off the back of his big efforts.
2. What are your top 3 tips on pushing through the pain barrier? Positive thoughts, the will to succeed and determination.
3. What’s your pre match ritual? I go through the same routine each game, from how I put my kit on, down to the song I listen to on the way to the game.
4. Post game recovery, what is your warm down routine and your usual post game nutrition? Ice baths as much as I hate them are a must. Replenish and rehydrate with Gatorade, water and a high carbohydrate meal and wear my 2XU Compression gear after the game and to bed that night to help aid muscle recover and reduce soreness.
5. Do you have any superstitions before, during or after the game: No.
6. How does 2XU Compression apparel help you before and/or after your game? 2XU Compression gear is great for helping repair any niggling muscle injuries that we get during training or on game day so that I can be at my very best at all times. I’ve tried many different compression pieces over the years but 2XU is by far the best.
7. What superfoods (for breakfast, lunch and dinner) help your winning performance on and off the field? Carbo load before the match for long lasting energy, and I love Banana’s great natural source of energy.
8 . Most mentally + physically challenging part of the game? Staying true to myself is hard when there is so much talk going on around me. If I am happy with my performance then that’s all that matters.
9. How do you psych out an opponent? Run around him and make him look bad!
10. What is one thing people would be surprised to learn about you? That I was the Under 9’s New Zealand Marble Champion ;)
11. What are 5 keys words in relation to your success on and off the field? Balance, Family, Friends, Belief, Passion.
12. What are your tips to cope and push through an injury? don’t cut any corners in doing rehab and listen to expert advice.
13. How do you find a balance between home life and football life? At home we have a rule that we don’t talk or watch football. At home it’s a chance to escape all that and just be me.
14. What’s your specialty ‘master in the kitchen’ dish? Spaghetti Bolognese.
15. If we found you on the dance floor, you’d most likely be doing? The Moonwalk.